Tuesday 8 November 2022

Corfe Castle Pub Explorations

My morning bus ride from Bournemouth may have been busy and long-winded, but the route became spectacular once we reached Sandbanks.  The bus trundled onto the chain ferry to Studland Bay and onward to Swanage.

I hopped off at the heritage railway station, took a quick picture of a steam train, cos everyone else was, then jumped aboard the Breezer 40.

My main aim of the day was to get to Worth Matravers, but as I had time to spare and the sun was shining, I decided to visit Corfe Castle first.
A quick check of the timetable confirmed I had just over an hour in the village before catching the bus back southward. 
Time to visit all three Good Beer Guide pubs?  Why not?
I headed just across the main road to the side of the village square, making my way to the Bankes Arms.
Which doesn't really look like it's going to be a rough n ready boozer, does it?

Bankes Arms (23 East Street, Corfe Castle, BH20 5ED - web)
This is one of the more upmarket options for lunch, for those not wanting to eat a pasty from the bakery on the steps of the cross on the market square.  It was pretty much exactly as I expected within - nice old historic rooms, smartly dressed staff whisking well-presented plates of food to the diners, and too many scatter cushions.

Four uber-chunky stools formed a barrier to ensure the riff-raff (that'll be me) couldn't get too close to the bar.  Where you'd find four ales including two from Bridport brewery Palmers, alongside Ringwood Best and Hobgoblin IPA.  

I took a sweet, malty half of Palmers '200' out into the busy beer garden, my attention divided between over-excited dogs and views of the castle.

I'd paid my entrance fee, climbed the small hill, and wandered around the castle ruins the last time I was in this neck of the woods, so could happily admire it from a distance on this occasion.  Before heading away from the village centre to see what the Corfe Castle Club had to offer.  This is located in the former Royal British Legion, in a building which was previously a 19th century school house.
Corfe Castle Club (70 East Street, Corfe Castle, BH20 5EQ)
I approached with the usual club trepidation, wondering whether I'd have to state my business and present my CAMRA card for examination.
No such worries: welcoming nods from all within and a friendly chatty barman ready to serve me my ale and talk about his own travels around the local pubs. 
Beers on offer were Timothy Taylor'sRingwood 'Razorback', and something with little information on the pump clip called 'Celtic Gold'.  The Celtic Gold turned out to be a rather bland Marston's beer by stealth, leaving me wishing I'd picked the Landlord.
The final great touch was almost everyone saying goodbye and wished me a good day when I returned my glass in this friendly place.

The door knocker gives away the name of the next pub...
Fox Inn (8 West Street, Corfe Castle, BH20 5HD - web)
Just across the road from the town hall and the back of the church, the Fox is an 18th century inn, which has spent several years closed prior to being given a new lease of life in 2018.
Stepping through the front door you find yourself in a charming snug, with wooden backed bench seating around the sides.
The door in the corner leads down a couple of steps and reveals the bar and a larger room.

Okay, so it's a gentrified old inn: Camden helles, a cake stand on the bar, and sandwiches for £9.50. But sat with a lovely pint of the local Hattie Brown's 'Moonlite', on a bench in that wonderful front room, I really quite liked the place.
 
I later discovered it was quiet inside because there was a superb leafy garden stretching down a slope behind the pub.  Reached via a characterful narrow alleyway that also leads to the outdoor WCs (always the sign of a good pub).
So, success in ticking the GBG pubs of Corfe Castle.  Completed with enough time to spare for some lunch from the village bakery.
I proffered a five pound note as the young lad at the counter - all of about 14-years old - grabbed the card terminal.
"Would you prefer a card?" I asked.
"No, it's fine.  It's just EVERYONE pays with card these days".
Crikey, I felt old.

2 comments:

  1. I know children leave school at 14 on Portland; never knew it was Purbeck as well.

    You got far better photos of Corfe than I did this year; that last shot of the castle is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣 Hoping to make a trip to Portland in a few weeks time. I've stood on the rocks at the most southern point of Portland, but never been in a pub there. Why do I get the impression I don't know what I'm letting myself in for?!

      Delete