Wednesday 29 July 2020

Great and Little Milton Pubs by Bike

If I thought Mrs PropUptheBar was worried about me using London public transport in Covid-times, that was nothing compared to the look of horror when she realised I was serious about borrowing her bike to visit a couple of East Oxfordshire villages.

Seems I'm not very trusted to safely navigate the B roads of the county on 2 wheels.
She even had to make a note of where I was going, lest search parties had to be sent out later...
So I cycled out westwards, the bike riding all very pleasant for a while until I reached the first hill slight incline.
Huffing and puffing and with a red-faced grimace, I wasn't giving anyone the illusion that I was enjoying this cycling lark.

I arrived in the village of Little Milton at 11:55, five minutes to catch my breath and take a picture of the pub before it opened (I hoped!)
And what a brilliantly charming thatched village pub this was.  It made it all worth the effort.
The kind of idiot that'd get on a bike for the first time in years in order to go the pub.
The Lamb Inn (High Street, Little Milton, OX44 7PU - web)
Inside, the Lamb is split into two separate areas either side of the bar, with the brickwork and wooden beams and posts giving it a bit of historical character.
I was pleasantly surprised to have a choice of three ales on a midweek visit - I figured I'd be stuck on the Brakspear, but alongside this was a local Amwell Springs brew ('Chairman Dave') and one from Church End ('Vicars Ruin'). 
The welcome in the Lamb was fantastically friendly and the beer in fine condition.  I sat outside on the lovely patio to the rear of the pub, in the sunshine, sipping my 'Vicars Ruin' in great contentment.
Yep, for the time being it hadn't sunk in that I'd still gotta cycle all the way back.

Before tackling the journey home though, it was a couple of miles northwards to get to Great Milton.
This was another charming East Oxfordshire village, not far from the M40, but quiet and idyllic on this summery afternoon.
Picture intended to back-up 'charming Oxfordshire village' claim.
Great Milton looks to be quite a well-to-do place, as evidenced by being home to Raymond Blanc's 2-Michelin star Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, which relegates The Bull to Trip Advisor's #2 place to eat in the village.
I'd dispute that.  Somehow I think I'd be happier (and have more money in my wallet at the end of the day) eating in the Bull. 
The Bull (The Green, Great Milton, OX44 7NS - web)
The pub has a fine location overlooking the village green.
Another thatched roof, more wooden beams and more village-local appeal.
Two front rooms are served by a central bar, whilst there's an extension to the rear leading to a patio and garden, so plenty of space for outdoor drinking at the Bull.
I figured I'd have to plump for a Doom Bar here, but then spotted the Loddon 'Hoppit' on the other side of the bar - their guest beer priced at a very reasonable £3 a pint.
I'm afraid that's about the limit of my inexperienced cycle riding exploits, so if there's any equally good pubs in villages a couple of miles on - sorry - too far for me!
It was great to find a couple of lovely village pubs, both serving good beer in good condition on a weekday lunchtime.
With it being a bit tougher to make longer trips at the moment, hopefully I'll find some more gems in the local vicinity over the coming weeks.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment