Tuesday 16 November 2021

(Brief) Stafford Pub Explorations

Brief because I just had a couple of hours breaking my train journey, so was limited to a few central pubs on a visit where time whizzed by alarmingly quickly.

Hence I just aimed to check out a couple of picks from the Beer Guide and a Spoons cinema conversion that I was really keen to visit.
And that's where I started...

The Picture House (14 Bridge Street, Stafford, ST16 2HL - web)
As you walk through the doors, the original ticket booth is still in place, which is a nice touch.
I tried to capture it in my picture, but there's rather a lot going on to obscure it - Spoon's deals, hand sanitiser station, Tim's rage against the media magazine special, wet floor sign...
Too much clutter!
The Picture House opened in February 1914 and entertained the folk of Stafford with movies until March 1995 when the credits rolled for the final time.  The last film shown was a 3-week run of erotic thriller 'Disclosure', but I'm not sure we can hold Michael Douglas wholly responsible for the demise of this cinema.
JD Wetherspoon purchased the building, which had been designated a Grade II listed building by this point, and opened it as a pub in 1997.

There are seating areas in the old lobby, then on four levels from the balcony down to the bar, which sits at the lowest point and still has a screen above it. 
All underneath an impressive barreled ceiling.
Amazing building.  Less amazing beer list.
I picked the Lymestone 'Ein Stein', which was nice enough and a bargain with a CAMRA voucher, although I didn't really need a 5% pre-midday beer.
In such a stunning building it should be easy to take some brilliant pub pictures.
So how did I manage to cock it up completely?

I headed up to the balcony intending to take a super shot of the whole pub from the highest point.
Only to fail miserably and somehow find this was the picture I'd managed to take...
Not the great pub pic I had in mind
Oh well.
Onward to the next pub, a short walk away, up to the main shopping street then past the council offices.
Shrewsbury Arms (75 Eastgate Street, Stafford, ST16 2NG - web)
This has been part of the Black Country Ales estate since 2016.
It consists of three rooms and a conservatory surrounding a central bar, meaning you can do a full circuit of the pub whilst trying to decide where to sit.


Plenty of choice for me, early doors.  There were just a couple of solitary drinkers reading the weekend papers and the barman flicking the early Premier League match onto the TVs.

All the usual Black Country ales on offer here, alongside a couple of guest beers.
I was interested to see the Allsopp's pale ale.

The Allsopp family were Burton-on-Trent brewers from 1730 onward, who saw their fortunes boom when they were one of the first companies to perfect an India Pale Ale recipe.  The brand disappeared in 1959, but has now been resurrected 62 years later by Jamie Allsopp, seven-times great grandson of founder Samuel Allsopp.  
  
I'm a sucker for the recreation of those old Burton beers.  Earthy hops, a touch of citra, and a bitter dry finish to the this easy-drinking pale ale.

Sticking to the Beer Guide entries in the centre, Slater's was my next pick.  Located on the main shopping drag, it's right next door to Stafford's second Wetherspoon pub.
Which is where I suspect everyone was on a Saturday afternoon - they certainly weren't in Slater's.
Slater's Bar (28 Gaolgate Street, Stafford, ST16 2NT - web)
This was a simple single-room bar, with modern decor, converted from a former shop unit.

The music appeared to be a whole album by Charlene Soraia - not someone I'd have recognised without Shazam, and not music that brightened up my visit in any way.

If they really want me to pretend it's 1995 we need a bit of Coolio, Radiohead and Oasis... 
I slipped up picking this bar, although I may well have enjoyed it at a different time with more customers than just me.
I'd guess my Slater's 'Premium Best Bitter' was the first pulled of the day and it wasn't really up to GBG standards.

My final pub of the afternoon was handy for scooting back to the railway station in time for my train.
Bird in Hand (Victoria Square, Stafford, ST16 2AQ - web)
I'd saved the best 'til last.
A good bunch of cheery customers creating a fantastic pubby atmosphere.
Nice comfy bench seating.
Cheese and onion cob for lunch.
And a very tasty stout from Derbyshire's Little Eaton Brewery.

Finishing my drink, it was time to head off to catch the train.
Call this a taster of Stafford...  I need to come back and do it more justice.

2 comments:

  1. "If they really want me to pretend it's 1995..." they need to charge £1.50 a pint (oh, they do in Spoons).

    Some lovely pubs, I enjoyed the Shrewsbury Arms a lot, but again you need a few other people in the pubs with you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stafford is very feasible for me and I like the look of these boozers. Not seen Allsopp's Ales about so will look harder in Burton!!!

    ReplyDelete